NASA Logo

NTRS

NTRS - NASA Technical Reports Server

Back to Results
Advanced photovoltaic power systems using tandem GaAs/GaSb concentrator modulesIn 1989, Boeing announced the fabrication of a tandem gallium concentrator solar cell with an energy conversion efficiency of 30 percent. This research breakthrough has now led to panels which are significantly smaller, lighter, more radiation resistant, and potentially less expensive than the traditional silicon flat plate electric power supply. The new Boeing tandem concentrator (BTC) module uses an array of lightweight silicone Fresnel lenses mounted on the front side of a light weight aluminum honeycomb structure to focus sunlight onto small area solar cells mounted on a thin back plane. This module design is shown schematically. The tandem solar cell in this new module consists of a gallium arsenide light sensitive cell with a 24 percent energy conversion efficiency stacked on top of a gallium antimonide infrared sensitive cell with a conversion efficiency of 6 percent. This gives a total efficiency 30 percent for the cell-stack. The lens optical efficiency is typically 85 percent. Discounting for efficiency losses associated with lens packing, cell wiring, and cell operating temperature still allows for a module efficiency of 22 percent which leads to a module power density of 300 Watts/sq. m. This performance provides more than twice the power density available from a single crystal silicon flat plate module and at least four times the power density available from amorphous silicon modules. The fact that the lenses are only 0.010 ft. thick and the aluminum foil back plane is only 0.003 ft. thick leads to a very lightweight module. Although the cells are an easy to handle thickness of 0.020 ft., the fact that they are small, occupying one-twenty-fifth of the module area, means that they add little to the module weight. After summing all the module weights and given the high module power, we find that we are able to fabricate BTC modules with specific power of 100 watts/kg.
Document ID
19930018773
Document Type
Conference Paper
Authors
Fraas, L. M.
(Boeing Electronics High Technology Center Seattle, WA, United States)
Kuryla, M. S.
(Boeing Electronics High Technology Center Seattle, WA, United States)
Pietila, D. A.
(Boeing Electronics High Technology Center Seattle, WA, United States)
Sundaram, V. S.
(Boeing Electronics High Technology Center Seattle, WA, United States)
Gruenbaum, P. E.
(Boeing Electronics High Technology Center Seattle, WA, United States)
Avery, J. E.
(Boeing Electronics High Technology Center Seattle, WA, United States)
Dihn, V.
(Boeing Electronics High Technology Center Seattle, WA, United States)
Ballantyne, R.
(Boeing Electronics High Technology Center Seattle, WA, United States)
Samuel, C.
(Boeing Electronics High Technology Center Seattle, WA, United States)
Date Acquired
September 6, 2013
Publication Date
February 1, 1992
Publication Information
Publication: Arizona Univ., Proceedings of the Lunar Materials Technology Symposium
Subject Category
Energy Production And Conversion
Distribution Limits
Public
Copyright
Work of the US Gov. Public Use Permitted.

Available Downloads

NameType 19930018773.pdf STI

Related Records

IDRelationTitle19930018767Analytic PrimaryProceedings of the Lunar Materials Technology Symposium