NASA Logo

NTRS

NTRS - NASA Technical Reports Server

Back to Results
Assessment of the Impact of an Advanced Power System on a Turboelectric Single-Aisle Concept Aircraft Electrified aircraft propulsion concepts show potential in using propulsion airframe inte-gration in order to increase efficiency in flight and therefore decrease fuel burn and emissions.Electrification offers component efficiency values greater than 90 percent, but the loss is in the form of low grade waste heat. A major challenge of electrified aircraft propulsion is managing that heat while minimizing any penalties associated with a thermal management system. This paper explores the effect of two innovations in the management of waste heat at the aircraft system level for a turboelectric single aisle concept. The first innovation is achieving a 3 times reduction in heat by developing high-efficiency components rather than managing the high levels of heat. The second takes advantage of the outer mold line of the aircraft to reject heat directly to the environment passively instead of adding active cooling loops that negatively impact the weight, power, and drag of the aircraft. In order to fully grasp the impact of the advanced power system, we develop methods of modeling the power and thermal management systems to be integrated in the full aircraft conceptual model. We then model the aircraft with a state of the art DC transmission system and active cooling loops as a baseline for our study. Our second model includes the advanced power system with active cooling, which results in a fuel burn reduction of 2.5 percent. Finally, in our third model we assess the benefit of an outer mold line cooling scheme with the advanced power system. The outer mold line cooling scheme with an advanced power system yields an additional 0.8 percent reduction in fuel burn,for an overall fuel burn reduction potential of 3.3 percent in addition to aerodynamic benefits of electrified aircraft propulsion.
Document ID
20205005264
Document Type
Presentation
Authors
Sydney Schnulo (Glenn Research Center Cleveland, Ohio, United States)
Jeffryes W Chapman (Glenn Research Center Cleveland, Ohio, United States)
Patrick Hanlon (Glenn Research Center Cleveland, Ohio, United States)
Hashmatullah Hasseeb (Glenn Research Center Cleveland, Ohio, United States)
Ralph H Jansen (Glenn Research Center Cleveland, Ohio, United States)
David Sadey (Glenn Research Center Cleveland, Ohio, United States)
Emre Sozer (Ames Research Center Mountain View, California, United States)
James C Jensen (Ames Research Center Mountain View, California, United States)
Daniel Maldonado (Ames Research Center Mountain View, California, United States)
Keerti K Bhamidipati (Armstrong Flight Research Center Rosamond, California, United States)
Nic Heersema (Armstrong Flight Research Center Rosamond, California, United States)
Kevin Antcliff (Langley Research Center Hampton, Virginia, United States)
Zachary J Frederick (Langley Research Center Hampton, Virginia, United States)
Jason Kirk (Langley Research Center Hampton, Virginia, United States)
Date Acquired
July 28, 2020
Subject Category
Aircraft Design, Testing and Performance
Aircraft Propulsion and Power
Meeting Information
AIAA/IEEE Electric Aircraft Technology Symposium(Virtual )
Funding Number(s)
WBS: 533127.02.19.03.01
Distribution Limits
Public
Copyright
Work of the US Gov. Public Use Permitted.
Technical Review
Single Expert
Keywords
Electric Aircraft
Thermal
Power

Available Downloads

NameType EATS2020_Schnulo_compressed.pdf STI