NASA Logo

NTRS

NTRS - NASA Technical Reports Server

Back to Results
Conceptual Exploration of Aircraft Configurations for the SUSAN ElectrofanThis paper presents an aircraft configuration trade space exploration for NASA’s SUbsonicSingle Aft eNgine (SUSAN) Electrofan, which is a 180 passenger regional class transport aircraftthat utilizes electrified aircraft propulsion and advanced propulsion airframe integrationtechnologies to enable reduced fuel consumption and emissions. At its core is a hydrocarbonfuel-consuming aft fuselage propulsor that produces 35% of the total thrust while generatingpower to drive wing-mounted electric propulsors, which produce the remaining 65% thrust.This power is extracted from the aft fuselage propulsor via a set of generators and is managedwith the help of a rechargeable battery, classifying the propulsion system as hybrid electric.Investigated in this work are different aft fuselage propulsor concepts, several wing propulsorconfigurations, and different types of stability and control strategies that can be accommodatedby this hybrid electric system architecture, with an emphasis on aircraft performance. Resultsobtained using a low-order multidisciplinary design and analysis framework demonstrate thateven with a subset of the advanced technologies that are being considered for the SUSANElectrofan, significant improvements to fuel efficiency can be achieved.
Document ID
20210025477
Document Type
Conference Paper
Authors
Timothy Chau (Science and Technology Corporation (United States) Hampton, Virginia, United States)
Gaetan K W Kenway (Science and Technology Corporation (United States) Hampton, Virginia, United States)
Cetin C Kiris (Ames Research Center Mountain View, California, United States)
Date Acquired
December 4, 2021
Subject Category
Aeronautics (General)
Meeting Information
AIAA SciTech Forum and Exposition 2022(San Diego, CA)
Funding Number(s)
WBS: 533127.02.22.01.05
Distribution Limits
Public
Copyright
Public Use Permitted.
Technical Review
NASA Peer Committee
Keywords
CAS

Available Downloads

NameType TChau_GKenway_CKiris_SciTech2022.pdf STI