NASA Logo

NTRS

NTRS - NASA Technical Reports Server

Back to Results
Engines and Innovation: Lewis Laboratory and American Propulsion TechnologyThis book is an institutional history of the NASA Lewis Research Center, located in Cleveland, Ohio, from 1940, when Congress authorized funding for a third laboratory for the National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics, through the 1980s. The history of the laboratory is discussed in relation to the development of American propulsion technology, with particular focus on the transition in the 1940s from the use of piston engines in airplanes to jet propulsion and that from air-breathing engines to rocket technology when the National Aeronautics and Space Administration was established in 1958. The personalities and research philosophies of the people who shaped the history of the laboratory are discussed, as is the relationship of Lewis Research Center to the Case Institute of Technology.
Document ID
19910006662
Document Type
Special Publication (SP)
Authors
Dawson, Virginia Parker
(NASA Headquarters Washington, DC United States)
Date Acquired
September 6, 2013
Publication Date
January 1, 1991
Subject Category
General
Report/Patent Number
NAS 1.21:4306
NASA-SP-4306
LC-90-20747
Distribution Limits
Public
Copyright
Work of the US Gov. Public Use Permitted.

Available Downloads

NameType 19910006662.pdf STI
No Preview Available